As the Dakotaverse begins, covers of upcoming comics are being released for Static: Season One, Icon and Rocket: Season One, and Hardware: Season One.
The future of the rebooted Milestone Media universe is being teased from DC Comics in new previews. As the fresh take on the Dakotaverse begins, covers of upcoming comics are being released for Static: Season One, Icon and Rocket: Season One, and Hardware: Season One.
Last month, Milestone’s return to comics was solidified with the print release of Milestone Returns: Infinite Edition #0. The debut issue previewed the first issues of the three series, including a look at Static’s updated origin story. The publisher’s long hiatus has only added to fan anticipation, as the last time that Static, Hardware, Icon and Rocket had ongoing series alongside each other was in the ‘90s. As Static’s official return approaches with Static: Season One #1 on June 15, previews for upcoming issues are now being released.
Click the button below to start this article in quick view.
Milestone Media’s August solicitations have revealed new covers along with official synopses for Hardware: Season One #1, Icon and Rocket: Season One #2, and Static: Season One #3. The debut issue of Hardware is written by Brandon Thomas, featuring art by original Milestone artist Denys Cowman along with Bill Sienkiewicz, and with a cover by Mateus Manhanini. The first chapter will be on sale August 8, including an “old school” card stock variant cover by Cowan, a “new school” variant by Sienkiewicz, and a variant cover by Richard Lopez Ortiz. The revitalized Icon and Rocket’s second issue is written by Reginald Hudlin, with art by Doug Braithwaite and Andrew Currie, and a cover by Taurin Clarke. It will release on August 24 with a variant cover by series artist Braithwaite. Lastly, Static: Season One #3 is written by Vita Ayala, with art by ChrisCross and Nikolas Draper-Ivey, and a cover by Khary Randolph. The rebooted Static’s third installment will release on August 17 with a variant cover by series artist Draper-Ivey, which has not yet been released.
- Hardware: Season One #1
- written by BRANDON THOMAS
- art by DENYS COWAN AND BILL SIENKIEWICZ
- cover by MATEUS MANHANINI
- ON SALE 8/10/21 $$3.99 US | 32 PAGES | FC | DC 1 of 6
- “old school” card stock variant cover by DENYS COWAN $4.99 US
- “new school” card stock variant cover by BILL SIENKIEWICZ $4.99 US
- 1:25 card stock variant cover by RICARDO LOPEZ ORTIZ $4.99 US
- Curtis Metcalf was the brightest shining star of Alva Industries, a brilliant scientist mentored by Edwin Alva since childhood…until the failures of Alva technology at the “Big Bang” disaster threatened to destroy the company, and Alva needed a scapegoat. Now Curtis is on the run from the Dakota police department…but a man as smart—and paranoid—as Curtis takes precautions. With a nearly indestructible suit of armor and remarkable inventions that he never handed over to Alva, Curtis stands determined to do much more than clear his name…he’s going to take the fight back to Alva himself!
- Writer Brandon Thomas (Future State: Aquaman, Excellence) is joined by Hardware’s co-creator and Milestone founder Denys Cowan to open a legendary new chapter in the story of the Milestone Universe’s most complicated man! Is a better world on his mind? Or just a world built for him?
- Icon and Rocket: Season One #2
- written by REGINALD HUDLIN
- art by DOUG BRAITHWAITE AND ANDREW CURRIE
- cover by TAURIN CLARKE
- ON SALE 8/24/21
- $3.99 US | 32 PAGES | FC | DC 2 of 6
- Card stock variant cover by DOUG BRAITHWAITE $4.99 US
- Who is the mysterious Xiomara? She’s an attorney with a unique set of skills…and if you’re Raquel “Rocket” Ervin, she’s who you want in your corner when the United States government comes knocking on your door, asking questions about your friendship with the all-powerful alien known as Icon! A secret identity doesn’t get you far when every intelligence operation in the world is hunting you…
- Static: Season One #3
- written by VITA AYALA
- art by CHRISCROSS AND NIKOLAS DRAPER-IVEY
- cover by KHARY RANDOLPH
- ON SALE 8/17/21
- $3.99 US | 32 PAGES | FC | DC
- Card stock variant cover by NIKOLAS DRAPER-IVEY $4.99 US
- The government believes the super-powered teenage “Bang Babies” of Dakota are out of control…and they’re too dangerous to be allowed on the streets! When his classmates start disappearing, Virgil Hawkins wants to do the right thing and expose what’s going on…but is there any way to do so without Static getting snatched up.
Based on the synopses for the three new issues, Static will soon be facing his classic foes in the “Bang Babies” of Dakota, the kids who were also affected by the gas produced by Alva Industries. When the radioactive chemicals were dispersed by police in the first issue, as seen in Milestone Returns: Infinite Edition #0, Dakota’s youth were given an array of abilities, causing many of them to look like monsters. Some fans will recognize the term Bang Babies from the original comics or the animated series, which presented a new meta-human in each episode who had become a villain due to the same events that gave Virgil Hawkins his electromagnetic powers.
Meanwhile, Hardware: Season One #1 will shed light on the origin story of Curtis Metcalf, a scientist who had learned firsthand as a kid from Edwin Alva, head of Alva Industries. However, when Alva betrays him and sends the police to his door, Curtis uses technologically sophisticated armor to become the vigilante Hardware. Lastly, in Icon and Rocket: Season One #2, a new mysterious attorney called Xiomara is introduced, who is pursuing Raquel “Rocket” Ervin for answers about the alien super being known as Icon.
With overlapping themes and storylines, it feels as if the six issues that make up each of the Milestone series’ first season might be leading to a team-up between the heroes. Static, Hardware, Icon, and Rocket might eventually have to join forces to protect Dakota and take down the corrupt businessman Edwin Alva.
Iron Man Trusts One Avenger To Survive A Brutal Hulk Attack
About The Author